Subject: Re: [Leica] Good Pitchurs
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:05:44 -0300

At 10 Apr 1998 09:09:58 -0400, Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com> wrote:

> I hate to be so wordy lately,

Please.  You present us with the well-crafted essays of a knowledgeable man.
Would that we all tried harder to follow your example.

> There is only a small historical/philosophical/critical tradition where
> photography is concerned, but the best of it is rich. I could recommend ten
> books that could keep anyone occupied for ten years.

I'd love to see that list.

Would you include Szarkowski's _Looking at Photographs_?   How on earth
did that get to be out-of-print?

Do you consider A. D. Coleman insightful, or a blowhard, or both?  :-)

> A few more exercises: when you go to a museum,

[...]

> Do you use a bulletin board? [...] STUDY THE BORDERLINE ONES [...] these
> are the pictures you'll learn the most from!

I do fractions of these exercises informally; I suspect I'd learn from making
an effort to do them more formally, and pay attention to any patterns which
emerged.  Thanks for the suggestions!  A dog completely uninterested in new
tricks might as well be put down.