Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm Lenses
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:20:59 +0000

At 12:00 PM 13/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear LUG-ers:
>
>I am using  90mm Tel-Elmarit 2.8 (thin). I have heard pros and cons about
>this lens. Mine seems very clear optically yet I was wondering if I should
>get a 90mm Summicron instead. I like the Tele-Elmarit for its compact
>design but would I be greatly benefited by the Summicron?
>
>Skip Heitzig

I have used the thin 90 tele-elmarit, the current 90 Elmarit and the
current 90 summicron.

I found that the thin tele-elmarit is light but the pictures tend to be
flary.  I get this problem everytime some back lighting occurs. I promptly
traded it in for another lens.

The current 90 elmarit is slighter better but the 90 summicron (although a
heavy lens) gave me the best performance for a 90mm-M lens.  It handles
backlight well and has a nice look and "bokeh". It is at its best when used
at  1/250 sec or faster, aperture wide open or just 1/2 stop down and
focussed spot on.  You will like this lens.

Dan K.