Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Good Pitchurs
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:16:41 -0400

     Jeff Moore wrote, "It's...important not to be too absolute in this
     insistence that the capacity for...appreciation is somehow intrinsic,
     not learned.  Perhaps...one needn't know Bach's musical forebears for
     a first-level appreciation of the music, but I betcha someone who
     hadn't been exposed to any notion of...a major or a minor key just
     wouldn't 'get' the music too well.  I bet a monolingual (American?)
     person...wouldn't 'get' a...poem written in Mandarin...[and]...even
     with a dictionary, but without cultural referents,...wouldn't get it
     too deeply."

     And in response to my statement that "one appreciates art...simply by
     experiencing it (and...ONLY by experiencing it)," Jeff asked "Is this
     meant to imply that any analytic component to one's interaction with a
     piece automatically invalidates the experience?...and...would you...
     contend that a recent escapee from a Skinner box is necessarily just
     as fully able to appreciate any 'true' art as someone who's grown up
     in the same culture as the artist?

     I'm sorry for not having been more clear about this in my original
     message.  Although it is true that "the CAPACITY for...appreciation
     is...intrinsic, not learned" (emphasis added), I did NOT mean to
     suggest that an appreciation itself is not learned.  It is certainly
     learned!  But---and this is what I MEANT to convey---whereas, on the
     one hand, one may learn to appreciate artists' techniques by studying
     technical matters, and one may learn to appreciate art history by
     studying historical facts; on the other hand, because works of art are
     communications, one can LEARN TO APPRECIATE the art itself simply, and
     only, by experiencing it (sometimes over and over again).

     A poem is different because its medium is VERBAL language.  Whereas
     the "language" of music, like the depictive "language" of paintings
     and photographs, is abstract, a verbal language is not abstract, but
     rather comprises many specific verbal symbols (words) of very concrete
     meanings, and so these symbols must all be mastered separately before
     one can "get" the communication.

     Conversely with music (e.g., Bach) one need NOT be separately "exposed
     to any NOTION of...a major or a minor key" (emphasis added), but only
     to the major and minor keys THEMSELVES AS HEARD IN BACH'S MUSIC.  So
     while I would NOT "contend that a recent escapee from a Skinner box is
     ...as...able to appreciate any...art as someone who's grown up in the
     same culture as the artist," I do agree that one learns to appreciate
     music and photography, and I do contend that the way one learns such
     appreciation is only by listening to the one and looking at the other.
     And I would add that, once one knows a language (as an adult would his
     native language, for example), then the one and only way one learns to
     appreciate literary works of art (Shakespeare's sonnets or Faulkner's
     novels, to cite two supreme examples) is only by reading them.

     BUT I did NOT mean to suggest that "any analytic component to one's
     interaction with a piece automatically invalidates the experience."
     Quite the opposite: the experience is the one and only requisite, and
     nothing can invalidate it!

     Again, I'm sorry for not having stated all this better originally.  I
     tried to be clear but did not succeed.  I hope I've done better here
     (and if the above is overwritten, it's from striving for clarity).

     Art Peterson