Subject: Re: [Leica] Explanation high production cost
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:29:44 +0200

><<<<  Japanese competitors are (often? Always?) unfair >>

>Would you expound on this.  I do not understand.

>Tom Shea

By unfair I mean (but I only write a common evaluation of the japan
economy made by many experts : "Japan, inc."): the financial system has
allowed in the past, and still today, any investment planned by the big
business(<italic>kiretsu : "network of companies organised aroud a major
bank")</italic>). The japanese financial system is a cocktail of the
french system of the fifties (public planification by the MITI) and of
the german system (for the companies who own shares of stock in each
other).

The system is very efficient when aimed towards a target. For instance :
destroy in the past the german photographic industry or  the US car
industry.

In France the system has been inefficient because of the lack of good
forecasting and marketing : the "Concorde" plane for instance. But Airbus
is a success !

The system is unfair because the financial system (<italic>nervus belli)
</italic>is controlled by a minority without regulation by a free
market.If two economies trade each other, one with free financial markets
(USA)and the other with a controlled financial system, I think that the
competition is unfair : the standarts of profitability and for bankruptcy
are not the same.

Dominique Pellissier