Subject: Re: [Leica] Jammed M3
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:41:41 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from mail: 15-Apr-98 [Leica] Leica-Users List Di.. by
Listmgr@mejac.palo-alto.
> Yes, the slow speeds often are at fault in this type of jam. I believe
> it is because there is a different escapement used to time the speeds
> below 1/50th.

Ummm, I think the slow-speed escapement is the *only* escapement. Above
1/50th, speeds are determined by slit width between curtains traveling
together, *not* by delaying the trailing curtain start with a
gear-train. Which is why you can't synch electronic flash above 1/50th.