Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:07:39 -0700

The URL for Silverfast is http://www.lasersoft.de/

I had an LS-20, then an LS-1000, then a Polaroid 35 Plus, and I found
that each new model improved on quality significantly.  If you want a bit
more shadow detail, you need the LS-1000.  If you want the most shadow
detail possible from a desktop slide scanner, get the Polaroid 35 PLUS.

At 08:56 AM 4/15/98 -0400, Stephen Kobrin wrote:
>I have a Nikon Coolscan II which I have used for two months or so,
>primarily for B&W, but also for a reasonable number of slides.  While I
>obviously cannot compare across other models, it had a reasonably shallow
>learning curve and produces very nice results with one exception that has
>been discussed at length on the LUG.  I have not been able to deal well
>with very high contrast slides, especially when there are large areas of
>deep shadow.  Even with manipulation in Photoshop, I find I face the choice
>of either lost shadows or some banding if I bring them up.  I have only
>seen that happen once with a B&W negative, and that was a shot through the
>gateway of a castle to a brightly lit street.  The negative was still
>"printable" with some limited shadow detail, but only very limited.
>
>On the other hand, the Coolscan II was under $800 for the internal model
>which is well under some of the more powerful scanners.  It works very well
>for most slides, most of the time.  The constraint is clearly my
>inexperience rather than my equipment.   (The internal model was $100 less
>than the external model and assuming you do not want to move between
>computer, more convenient if space is a constaint. It was not all that
>difficult to install, especially on a tower model.)
>
>Several months ago I asked about digital processing of B&W on the LUG and
>thanks to the encouragement of Tina and others went ahead.  While my
>computer is clearly not a chemical darkroom, the results far exceed any
>expectations I had going in.  Duotones, tritones and quadtones are not
>difficult to produce if you are willing to spend just a little time playing
>with curves and the results are very pleasing, at least to me -- and I am
>the only one who looks at my prints. (My wife is always positive!)  In
>fact, I do very little color as I find the B&W prints much more fun to
>produce and see more advantages to digital processing than with color.
>Again, that may reflect my own biases and experience.
>
>One question.  Several of you have mentioned third party software for the
>Coolscan.  Mine came only with the Nikon software.  What do you gain for
>your money??  As I recall, someone posted a URL for Silverfast a while
>back; could someone repost as I do not have it.
>
>Steve

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com