Subject: [Leica] Accuratization*/Perfectionist/ Addendum / Why Not?
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:54:36 EDT

   From the private mail that I have received, it seems that I have failed to
   make myself clear & am adding this bit of trivia.
- -----------------------------

   The early Leicas had fixed lenses (non-interchangable) and had to be
   matched to the individual bodies.  In 1931/32 the bodies were all made
   to  (I forget exactly but think a 28.xxxxmm) standard &  a little "o" was
   added to the bodies lens flange & also to the now standardized lenses.

   Now the body focal plane to lens flange distance were all the same but
   it was too costly to produce all lenses to that same tolerance, so each
   lens was matched to a tube (mount) that corresponded with its true focal
   length and any errors were compensated for by the depth of focus of the
   majority of the lenses max. speed of f:3.5 .

   It was only the perfectionist (like the driver that has his engine blue
printed)
   and dyno-tuned) that insisted on 100% accuracy. As a subject that already
   has been covered on the LUG --- 100% superimposition of the 2 rangefinder
   images is not really neccessary but since it is easy to obtain "Why Not"?

   When we go into the realm of the Summilux & Noctilux lenses,  with close
   distance DOF of only inches --- then as Leica recommends: match the lens
   to the camera if you want accurarcy in inches with a rangefinder. By the
way,
   for those of you that didn't know - An "aerial image" is one formed without
the
   use of a ground glass (just in the air like a telescope).

    MMoss