Subject: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #322
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:35:05 -0400

>>>Having said that,  Mike is the editor of my favorite magazine and none of
this should be taken personally.  Sounds like a good topic for
Vestal..............

Duane Birkey<<<

Heck, no! I'd never presume to tell you what to do, and I'd never take it
personally that you disagree with what I do. Virtually every one of us has our
own way of working and our own sets of preferences and parameters.

If I felt that way, I could never edit a magazine, believe me--if I did, we
would *never* publish articles about anyone or anything but M6s and Tri-X
developed in D-76. <g, d, & r>

Similarly, there is nothing inconsistent in using a 50mm myself and
recommending a 35 and a 90 to Georgette. I can separate what I'd choose for
myself from what I'd recommend to others.

Also, bear in mind that I'm feeling quite insecure about whether I can limit
myself to a 50mm or not. It *does* seem like it would be very limiting. The
question is, can I learn enough from the experience to make it worth it? I
don't know. (I aim to find out, though. <g>)

Finally, I can forgive nearly anything of a person who subscribes to _PT_. If
you know how hard it is to maintain circulation.... :-(

To John McLeod: A very eloquent post, and perceptive--and honest! It takes some
guts to make those admissions. Really appreciate your comments.

- --Mike

P.S. Vestal used a brace of M2s for nearly 30 years; then they wore out. So he
got himself an Olympus and a 40mm f/2. That wore out after ten years. So he got
his M2s reconditioned and he's back to using them again. 35mm lenses,
naturally--I think old 3.5 Summarons.