Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica & One Lens
From: ONETWOBEAT <ONETWOBEAT@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:49:28 EDT

Regarding the used of one lens and an M6.  I visited the National Center of
Photography in New York last month.  The photographs of Misha Bar-Am were
being shown.  By coincidence, Misha stopped in the gallery while I was there
and I seized the opportunity to briefly talk with him.  Over his shoulder he
wore a very used black M6 with a 50 Summicron.  It was the only lens he
carried.  He said he very often uses only one lens citing the 'not close
enough' dialogue and added "but not too close to lose perspective".  If you
are not familiar with him, he is from Israel and  exhibited very powerful
photographs.  Most were taken in Israel over the past five decades. I saw only
one color photograph in the exhibition.  He said he learned photography by
shooting often and in his own back yard.  He said he was successful because
his "back yard" happened to be in Israel during wars and general unrest.  Very
modest.  This man's back yard was right on the front line.  As he left the
gallery he put his camera into a weathered canvas shopping type bag with the
Sunday Times protruding from the top. But not before signing a copy of his
book.  Best regards to you all.  It is good to be back and learning from this
site.

Scott