Subject: Re: [Leica] Nashville's exciting day
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:36:32 +0000

Alfred Breull wrote:

> Harrison, I saw the pictures, and they said in tv late night news, that
> the tornado returned yesterday afternoon - are you (and your daughter)
> safe ?

Yes we are all safe with no damage to our property. Nashville was
VERY lucky in that no one was killed as a direct result of the
tornado. I think someone may have been killed in a car accident, but
it may have been caused by other factors.

I think what the media was trying to say was that on Thursday 2
tornados actually hit Nashville. The first one hit downtown at appx
3:30pm.  I narrowly missed this one as I had left my daughters day
care at appx 3:20pm.  Some of the shots of the damage on CNN were
made at the front door of her day care so I consider it lucky that
all of the children there were safe.  A second tornado hit around
5:30 and went through East Nashville and knocked down what appeared
to be hundreds of trees, blew down several churches and put power out
to almost that entire side of town.  Once again no one was killed.

I spent all day yesterday walking over Nashville photographing the
destruction for Black Star.  It was not the worst damage I have seen
from a tornado, but it was bad enough.  The odd thing about this one
is that it hit a downtown area of a city.  This one was one of the
smallest tornados with winds in the 100mph range.  The one that hit
Lawrenceburg south of here was an F4 and had winds in the 300mph
range.  If something like that had hit Nashville I hate to think of
the destruction.  The one that hit Alabama a few weeks ago was an F5
with winds in the 400-500 mph range. That one killed 30-40 people or
more and left a path 100's of yards wide and miles long.  We were
very lucky up here.

The damage was mostly blown out windows in the downtown area and
knocked over trees.  I have seen these things take a house and
scatter it like so many match sticks across thousands of yards of
land.  Nothing like that here.

Thanks for your concern.
Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto