Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & one lens
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:06:46 -0700

Sander van Hulsenbeek wrote:

> So - to digestt a lengthy process -  l recently traded in - in the best
> camera-shop of Amsterdam of course - all that gear and bought a M6HM with
> the 50 Summicron (collapsible lens shade) and the 24 Elmarit ASPH is on its
> way. I can't wait to use it. Like the pictures the Summicron  makes already.
> A 90 mm Elmarit may come later, and I think that can also serve, with a
> Visoflex, for the occasional macro-picture. Because there is one thing I
> don't like with M: that one cannot come closer than 70 cm. But that is a
> limitation that can be lived with.
>
> And those Agfa Scala films are already in the freezer!
>
> Comments are appreciated!

That's a great story, Alex -- I can imagine you trekking through all
those exotic locations with your camera and two lenses.  When I travel,
if I am going someplace where photography will not be the centerpiece of
my journey, I take my M2, a meter, a 90, a 50, and a 20.  The camera can
be worn on its strap inside my leather jacket and the meter and other
two lenses easily fit in my pockets.  Then if I see something I want to
photograph it's an easy matter to do so; if I don't, the equipment is
never in my way.

But if I'm setting out to photograph something particular, like a
refinery or a rocket, I carry a backpack with two R bodies, lots of
film, 5 lenses, cable releases, lens cleaning equipment, assorted
filters, and a tripod or a monopod with a ball head over my shoulder.  I
suppose it's all heavy enough to give me some exercise, but if the
purpose of the trip is to get the right shots of that refinery, I'm
always glad to have the equipment.

Speaking of taking one's Leica into exotic locations: at the San Jose
camera show yesterday, I saw a "Smokey the Bear" special edition M6 for
sale -- the dealer's story was that the owner had been backpacking and
had somehow gotten his camera into his campfire for a while.  The paint
was blistered, the VF and RF windows were gone, the vulcanite or
whatever it is was melted away, showing some fabric underneath, but the
shutter and film advance still worked.  They wanted $250 for it.  I was
tempted to buy it as a conversation piece, but better sense prevailed.

- -Patrick