Subject: Re: [Leica] M's and focusing
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:38:49 EDT

<<
 An open question regarding M's and lenses with good flatness of
field--suppose
 I'm shooting wide-open with a wide angle lens and my subject is, say, a
person
 who's pretty close, and I want the eyes to be sharp. I focus on the person's
 eyes in the center of the finder, but that's not what I want in composition,
 so I move that person close to the edge of the frame. Technically, it seems
 me that if the field-plane is truly flat, that will back-focus the eyes of
the
 person when I change the composition. >>

If the distance from the lens to the person's eyes remains the same, the
person's eyes should remain in focus if you are using a flat field lens (a
lens with little or no curvature of field).

Tom Shea