Subject: Re: [Leica] Scandinavian Vacation
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 06:19:39 -0400

Let me add my two cents to Dale's comments by first agreeing with his
comments about Norway.  However I must disagree with what he says about
Denmark.   While Denmark is perhaps less interesting from a topographic
viewpoint, it is an utterly lovely country and the people are as sweet and
lovely as they could be.  From a photographic standpoint, the country offers
an unending variety of landscape, architectural, and other types of
opportunities.

For starters, Copenhagen is a large, lovely city.  There are a large number
of interesting churches, waterfront venues, outdoor activities of every
sort, wonderful restaurants, etc.  If you're in Copenhagen, I suggest
borrowing a bike or taking a bus to the lovely and quaint old seaport of
Dragor on the island of Amager.

Don't miss Rosskilde, about 1/2 hour West of Copenhagen by car.  Lovely old
Cathedral where many of Denmark's royalty are buried.  There is also a
beautiful old church in Naestved, which is about 90 minutes SW of
Copenhagen.  One of my favorite cities is Ribe, on the West coast of Denmark
and the oldest city in the country.  Denmark is very flat and the roads are
great.  If you do go to the west coast, you'll take two or three car ferries
which are thoroughly enjoyable with wonderful restaurants and the
opportunity to stroll about on deck and enjoy the salt air.  For a more
modern city, don't miss Arhus, Denmark's second largest city, on the Eastern
coast of Jutland, the largest of Denmark's several islands.

Denmark is a wonderful country to drive through, but the rail system is also
quite good and you could either use a Eurail pass or the Scandinavian rail
pass.  But no matter how you choose to travel, don't miss Denmark.

Bruce S.