Subject: Re: [Leica] Gitzo ball head in Chasseur d'Images
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:00:31 -0700

I don't know where the problems are that all of you have with Gitzo
ball heads.  I own a Gitzo carbon fiber Mountaineer tripod and matching
ball head G1276.   It is VERY well made, as all Gitzo products are, and
it has very smooth and fluid rotation and panning.  I have never had a
problem with it at all.  It is definitely a better head that the
hard-to-release
Bogen units I used to have.

At 09:29 PM 4/20/98 -0400, TEAShea wrote:
><<
> I'm not sure why the Gitzo Ball head would be called a "best buy". There
> are much better ball heads available. Arca Swiss, Linhof, Foba, Kirk, and a
> few others that escape me at the moment >>
>
>I agree that Gitzo balls heads are generally not the best.  I much prefer to
>use an Arca Swiss B1 as my main ball head.  However for certain specialized
>applications, the Gitzo ball heads are useful.  I use two of their small ball
>heads for my small tripods.
>
>Tom Shea

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions