Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: an objective evaluation of leica M lenses and the noctilux
From: "A S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:16:49 -0500

Dominique, Duncan, Erwin et al.: I have noted over the years a certain
reluctance by Leitz to publish the MTF curves. I think that was in part
related to the company's condescension  to its users' intellectual ability
in undestanding optics.  It is only a recent development that some MTF
curves have been issued, in particular in the Adobe format, on the Leica
website. Due to the small size of the graphs, it is very hard to read these
diagrams. However, it is apparent, for example, that in the R family the
180mm Apo-Elmarit is superior to the 50mm f1.4 Summilux.
Please compare these MTF diagrams from Leica with the very clear and
detailed ones available from Hasselblad and Contax RTS for their respective
Zeiss manufactured  and/or designed lenses. I agree with Duncan that
whatever the shortcomings of the measurements are,  an internally consistent
set is provided  to the user. It is thus clear that the superior Hasselbled
lenses are the 38mm Biogon(on the SWC), 100mm f3.5 Planar, 180mm Sonnar, and
250mm Sonnar Superachromat. Note that the % distortion is also published and
it is minuscule for the 38mm and 100mm lenses. Analogus conclusions can be
drawn with respect to 35mm lenses for the Contax RTS.
I found these MTF curves very helpful when I was deciding between buying the
60mm f3.5 or the (older) 50mm f4 for the 500CM. The 60mm won out and this
choice was supported by published pictures in books and magazines. My slides
confirn the excellence of the 60mm lens,Clearly, I think we can all agree
that both optical bench measurements and slides or prints are necessary to
assess lens quality.

regards, Andrew Jordan