Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: an objective evaluation of leica M lenses and the noctilux
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:18:46 -0500

At 11:16 AM 4/21/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Dominique, Duncan, Erwin et al.: I have noted over the years a certain
>reluctance by Leitz to publish the MTF curves. I think that was in part
>related to the company's condescension  to its users' intellectual ability
>in undestanding optics.  It is only a recent development that some MTF

That's not likely the case at all. First of all, one MTF chart is almost
meaningless. Why? Because a chart only shows one test, and it takes
hundreds of tests, different parts of the lens (center, edge, half way)
different colors of light, different lp/mm, etc. etc. Showing one MTF chart
is the equivalent, to me, of looking at one line of a food's nutrition
able. Some drinks have 100 per cent of the vitamin C one needs, but not
much else. One chart says how the lens tested out in one way. At least,
that was Leica's argument. Let's not attribute a bad attitude to Leica that
isn't deserved.

And to extrapolate the Zeiss MF lens performance with the 35mm lenses is
not a good idea. They are totally different in design. They are great
lenses, for sure, but only using a lens will really tell you if you will
like it.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He doesn't have much of a reputation, or so I've heard.