Subject: Re: [Leica] MINT R equipment for sale - just like NEW!
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:34:04 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> >> Very accurate meter.
> >
> >Uh, correction.  The R6.2's meter is one stop more sensitive on the
> >low-light side than the R7's.  They have the same high end.
>
> Correction?

You seem puzzled by my use of the word "correction."  By "correction," I
meant that Jim had made a statement that was in error, by saying that a
very accurate meter was one of the benefits of the R7 over the R6.2,
when this is in fact not the case, given that the R6.2's meter is one
stop more sensitive than that of the R7.  Because my statement was
intended to rectify the error, it was what is often called a
"correction," and I used the word to signal that to the reader.

> What good is one stop more sensitive, when the shutter speeds
> don't go down that long unless one is on B, and then what good is a meter?

Your question would make sense if film were not available in any speeds
above ISO 50.  The bottom end of the R6.2's meter measures light for an
exposure of 1 second at f/1.4 at ISO 100, where the R7's meter gives out
at 1/2 second at f/1.4 at ISO 100.  As film speed increases, the meters
do not become any more sensitive, so the slowest speed for which the
cameras will meter at ISO 3200 at f/1.4 are 1/30 for the R6.2 and 1/60
for the R7.