Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:an objective evaluation of leica M lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:46:44 -0500

At 02:21 AM 4/23/98 +0200, you wrote:

>After having read the arguments against the mtf test of Leica lenses,
>especially those developed by Erwin, I must conclude that MTF is not

You are quite correct. Lens design is based not only on numbers generated
by a computer, but experience, and a tradition, such as Leicas, to set
certain performance goals.

>Well, as it is the general case in science, I must conclude that science is
>inadequate or subjective.I think this great post modern discovery deserves
>a  name. I propose : the LUG impossibility hypothesis.

Science is quite inadequate in any art, such as making pictures, or
lens-making.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch