Subject: [Leica] Message not deliverable
From: "Administrator"<administrator_at_elec__bus@mail.sd91.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 98 17:54:57 -0800

- --simple boundary

At 02:53 PM 4/23/98 +0000, you wrote:

>I have an idea that I'd like to test.  Though I was always told to focus
>with my left hand resting UNDER the camera and supporting the body, I have
>always focused with my left hand to the left of, and slightly, above the
>lens and my left elbow flying out to the side.  The former approach cradles
>the camera in a more stable manner, but my ("incorrect") method allows for
>possibly quicker focusing and racking of the lens.  I have a theory (clearly
>of earth-shattering importance -- the world awaits the findings) that those
>who like the ergonomics of the R8 cradle their focusing hand under the lens,
>and that those who don't like the feel of the camera focus the way I do.

John,

Not only is your technique probably the reason you don't like the R8, it is
also the way MOST photographers work, and I dare says 90 per cent of
professionals who use 35mm cameras. Maybe more. In fact, I don't personally
know one single professional who works that way. Does anyone else?

The left hand under the camera is a good base to work from. Holding the
camera's weight with your right hand, and having to take the picture with
your right hand, and your left hand only focusing, it's definitely not a
good situation. I couldn't do that kind of thing if I tried. I suspect
cameras are designed with the left-hand under in mind. It's pretty much
standard teaching technique. And I don't think it's pontificating, or
dogma, it's just experience that has caused the crowd to agree on this
particular technique.

Focusing might be slower for racking from near to farthest focus with
lenses that have a long throw using our technique, but for the most part,
by anticipating what the subject is, it should make that consideration minor.

But if you can't shoot the way we do, well, then maybe the R8 just isn't
for you.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch