Subject: Re: [Leica] Asian camera stores
From: "Chiente Shih" <chienteshih@unn.unisys.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:35:00 -0400

Hi ! You are lucky ! I am from Taipei, Taiwan. Well, there is a area which
has a lot of cameras and lens. The area is near the largest post office and
Tapei train station. There are many stores located in two streets. The one
is "BO-AI" Rd. This is near the larget primary post office in Taipei.
Actually it is the largest post office in Taipei.The other one is "Han-KOU"
St. , Sorry it's hard to pronuouce. : - ). The above two sell new and used
stuff. Yeah, the price of Leica in Taipei is lower. The all new Leica M6 is
NT$52000 which is about US$1,600. The exchane rate is US$ : NT$ = 1 : 33 ,
and there is another area around "BA-DE" Rd. .Some stores sell used stuff
there. Some stores accept credit cards but they may apply surcharge. As a
result, I think you probably need to use traveler check to exchange some
NT$. Don't worried, Hilton hotel is on the opposite side of Taipei train
station. Maybe you could stay there and take a walk to that area. The
advice is "don't stick in one store buying stuff". Ask for best price
avaiable. Because there are so many stores in that area, I would encourage
you to look around all the stores and spend your money wisely. I don't know
if you could be in Taipei on May because I will be in Taipei from 17 May to
30 May. So if you could, let me know.