Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing for dummies
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:26:14 -0400

At 12:15 PM 4/26/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I use both TMAX and Ilford Delta, both typicially 100 ASA.  Could some of
>you recommend a good _basic_ developer for each film; something that will
>provide reasonable results but be reasonably tolerant of the relearning
>process?   I suspect that it would be best to settle on one or the other,
>but would like to try developing both before I decide.
>
>Last, is a JOBO processor worth it for B&W?  Or will a simple tank do the
>trick just as well?
>
>Steve

Steve:

Kodak's XTol is the most forgiving developer I have worked with - wide
latitude of times and temperatures and great results with all of the films
I have tried.  If you intend to do much processing, a JOBO is fantastic.
It's very difficult to get the best results from TMax without very
consistent agitation and the JOBO provides that.  My ATL-2 has six bottles.
 I keep three full of chemicals for B&W and three full of chemicals for
E-6.  A little bit of chemistry goes a long way and the ATL-2 saves it for
re-use.  It will pay for itself in no time.  I've done thousands of rolls
and never had a problem.  Good luck - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>