Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux - Rational lens??
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 21:17:24 -0400

Chris:

I don't own either the Noct or the 50L, but I do shoot both EOS and Leica
M. The advantage of the Noct is that it mounts on a camera that is so
smooth that you can go at least one, and probably two stops slower and
still make a sharp photograph. F 1.0 at 1/60 needs more light than f1.0 at
a 1/15.

Tom

 At 01:09 PM 4/26/98 +0000, you wrote:
>D Khong wrote:
>
>> After acquiring this lens just a few months ago, I found that it has a
>> personality of its own, able to produce pictures with a unique style, and I
>> am in fact thrilled by the vignetting which I think is an artform in
>> itself. So very often, I purposely open up the lens to f1.0-1.2 so that the
>> vignetting is obvious.
>
>I'd love to know if this magical style is just due to f1.0 lenses
>or if there is something special about the leica.
>
>I have a review of the Canon 50L here...
>http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb/photo/equipment/canon/50_1.html
>and there are some pictures. Perhaps some Noctilux owners can
>look at them to see if the effect is comparable or not. I'm not
>sure if the quality of the web is good enough, but you can click
>on the pictures to make them bigger. Hey, you won't see the
>severe vignetting, but if you desperately want that you could put
>the wrong lens hood on :-)
>
>--
>Chris Bitmead
>http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb
>mailto:chrisb@ans.com.au
>
>Unix: You think it won't work, but if you find the right guru,
>you can make it work.
>Macintosh: You think it will work, but it won't.
>PC/Windows: You think it won't work, and it won't.

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria