Subject: [Leica] A New Can of Worms
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:17:53 -0500

Let's open a new can of worms here....

We're well aware of various LUGgers thoughts on UV filters on their Leica
lenses.

I've never used UV filters. Rather, I've always used skylight filters. I've
always preferred the slight warming to shadow areas they provide (and the
protection).

I'm not of the group who feels filters generally degrade the photo. In
fact, when I owned a Contax G1, I outfitted all of the Zeiss lenses with
Contax skylight filters because those lenses were too cool in color overall
for my taste. And if those filters degraded the lens quality, all I can say
is I wish all of my lenses were similarly degraded.

The Contax is long gone. I don't currently own a Leica; I currently shoot
with Nikon. But I continue to contemplate a Leica.

As I think back on 20-some years of photography, it seems I've rarely used
lenses without a skylight filter attached.

Any LUGgers use them on their Leica lenses?

Larry