Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux
From: Dieter Stoll <dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:44:08 +0200

>From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
>Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 17:06:03 -0400
>Subject: [Leica] Noctilux Photos
>I hope you can see these difference in the scans.  It is very obvious in
>the prints.  If you take a lot of photographs in low light the lens is
>invaluable!!  Best - TIna
>
>... and in another post:
>There's not really any reason to use the Noctilux unless you are going to
>use it at 1.0.  There are other 50mm lenses that are better, cheaper and
>lighter for smaller f stops.  Take your Noctilux in the dark and have some
>fun :-)    Tina
>
>From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au>
>Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 01:50:07 +0000
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux
>All you people shooting the Noctilux at f/1.0 in daylight, just
>for the sake of getting the f1.0 effects... Don't you have a
>problem with the 1/1000 shutter speed?
>Chris Bitmead

With all the recent Nocti bashing and fanfare, I thought I'd throw in my 2
cents. I have had a Nocti for only about 4 weeks now but I am totally
smitten. Not necessarily working in the dark. I took a couple of portraits
in bright daylight (w/velvia @ 40 ASA) at f 1.0. These have a totally 3D
look to them; the subject appears to float. Worth every dollar and every
bloody gram.
Vignetting is a lot less noticeable than what the tests make you believe.
Just for the heck of it I took a couple of landscapes with lots of open
sky. Vignetting is there for sure, but you notice it only if you
specifically look for it (the "worst" parts are covered up by the slide
mount anyway :-).
One person said that those who never used one won't miss it. Couldn't agree
more.
Best,
- -- Dieter

Dieter Stoll                  D-72127 Kusterdingen, Germany
dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de   Home fax: +49-7071-368520