Subject: Re:[2] [Leica] Noctilux[vsCanon50f/1tests]
From: Donald Ingram <Donald_Ingram@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:33:57 -0400

Message text written by Danny Gonzalez

>I would like to make some sort of a valid =

test and, since I'm not familiar with the requirements, how does this
sound?: =

I point the camera, with a roll of Neopan 1600 in it, on its back, straig=
ht
up to the sky =

and take a number of frames in succession @ 12/secs w/ the 50 and 7 secs.=

with the 85. I =

develop the film in a scrubby, D76 type developer for a 4x push. My camer=
does have =

some sort of mirror-up custom function, so that'll be good.

What else do I need to do? I remember something about shooting away from
the polar =

extremes as that is where the sky spins fastest? Anything else I can do t=
get useful =

results? =

Maybe if a Leica rep reads this, she'll offer us a 75 and a Noct to test
against<s>?

<

Hi again Danny,

The Neopan sounds good - should give some pictures with  bite

Shooting straight up will give certainly give the best pictures and the
Ursa Major  - the plough - just happens to  up there to provide a good
recogniseable target  that fits into a 50mm frame.

It also sounds like you have thought about this in the past - the sky
rotation shows up increasingly  as you point the camera away from the pol=
i.e. the angular movement in a given time is greater. Pointing  towards t=
he
pole, you could take longer exposures than the 600/f rule of thumb.

How about if I take the same pictures here using my Leica noctilux and 75=

summilux and send or e-mail  the negs or full frame prints to you  as a
comparison. If I get a clear night  in the next few days, I could even ge=
them off to you first .

While you have the film in the camera, I would be interested to see what
the effect of shooting some distant lights against a dark background look=

like with your lenses . If the contast between light and dark is high
enough, sucessivly increasing exposure times should show up increasing ha=
lo
effect - perhaps?  - I also need to try this myself to see what happens.

Cheers,

Donald.