Subject: Re: [Leica] Home again
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:46:01 -0400

At 09:37 PM 4/29/98 +1000, you wrote:

>The question; should we always ask permission before taking someones
>photograph? In doing so, you end up with mainly posed portraits, some fun
>[especially children], but many stiff and dull. I suppose this "stiffness"
>could be overcome with communication and time, but when travelling there is
>rarely too much time for that intimacy. In some countries of course they
>strongly object to having there image recorded [would you still try/want to
>photograph the people?] and in others, you take an image only to pay the
>sitter a fee, usually in coinage [which is why I used the TLR Rollei in
>Egypt]. The travel company urges us all to ask, and I'm not against this,
>only that the images will not be those that I am after. I asked Leica at
>the meeting about their feelings - HCB, who seems to embody the Leica
>technique and philosophy would not have been asking all his subjects, and
>indeed his concepts would have been often ruined by doing so. Leica were
>diplomatic. Yes we always ask, but sometimes if you are using people as
>shapes or part of a scene as HCB it is not really the person you are
>imaging and sometimes it seems being unobtrusive is as polite as directly
>asking. OK- how do all of you go about capturing the people you see on
>trips, what are the ethics involved and can we get some sort of LUGnut
>concenus?

Alistair -

Welcome back!!  It sounds like you had a wonderful trip.  As far as the
"ask or not" question - I think you have to use common sense and instinct.
If you are in a country where taking photographs is taboo or might be
thought to be an insult, of course you would ask first.  If it is just a
question of a fee, that would be up to you.  Tips are not mandatory.  Is
there something you could exchange beside money?  Give them a business card
and tell them to send you their address and promise to send them a print.
Then do it.  I do this all over the world and have never had a problem
(except that I am now about five months behind in sending photographs!)  I
agree that asking first destroys the photograph 9 times out of 10, so if
there is any way you can sneak it first and ask later, do it!!  It's also
true that with a Leica, 9 times out of 10, you won't get caught sneaking
the photographs!  Glad you are back - Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>