Subject: Re: [Leica] Home again
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:30:59 +0100

<<<<<<<<< then thought hang it you only live once, and entered the R
>world with a chrome R8 and 70-180 zoom and winder.>>>>>>>

Allister,

Way to go my good man!!!!!! I love it when a guy throws caution to the wind
and dives right into the cold water!!! :) You now have entered the real
world of happy snapping big time! :)

The lens is awesome as you'll come to learn and I see you are already
pleased with early results. And the camera is a dream to use. Unfortunately
I see you have already discovered the winder has some hiccups, at least
yours kept working! Maybe a "frame too many!"

I had two crash, one worked beautifully for over a month every day and then
"silence!!!!!!!" Changed batteries, cleaned contacts and re-placed it many
times to see if it would re-start. zip.

The second one right out of the box advanced the first roll to frame one
and went silent!!!

Removed it, cleaned contacts on winder and camera and replaced winder very
carefully. At the moment it has worked OK for the past 3 days.

Apparantly it has something to do with the springs in the "spring loaded
contact points" and they aren't strong enough? do not create enough
pressure? or some version of spring thing that is creating the glitch with
many winders.

This is just to prepare you for what might occur, hopefully not that it will.

Sounds like you had a great time in the camera stores of Japan and your
experience with the people sounds similar to any time I have been there.

Now we'll hold our breath until we see some of your images with the new
toys. We'll  be watching for them.

ted