Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures taken with SOOKY-M
From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 05:52:43 +0000

> I read your web page. Interesting. But two things, the focal length of
> 43mm comes closest to the impression the human eye yields as far as
> magnification.

I've got a standing challenge open on this issue. Basicly "prove
it". What experiment should I do that will prove this to me?

> As for 50mm being easiest to design, not true. Short teles are the easiest
> to design, because the angle the light passes through the lens is
> minimized compared to longer and shorter focal lengths according to the
> optical designers I've read. The reason 50s are so cheap is there are so many
> of them!

I don't know about which is easiest to design. I'm talking about
cheapest to make. Nikon or Canon can make a pretty damned good
50/1.8 that costs them about $30 to manufacture. That's certainly
not due to the number made. Nikon/Canon don't even make that many
any more. How much does it cost for a 20mm f/1.8 or a 200mm
f/1.8?

> Notice, the 90 Summicron isn't any more expensive than the
> 50 Summicron.

The 50/2 is about $945 and the 90/2 is about $1695. See what I
mean?

- --
Chris Bitmead
http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb