Subject: Re: [Leica] Ricoh GR 28 f/2.8 caution
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:25:50 +0100

My GR1 does not have any noticeable pin cushion or barrel distortion. One
of my standard checks on any new lens or camera  looks specifically for
this. I am very satisfied with this and all other aspects of the camera. My
caution would be that the passive autofocus, while more accurate than
active, is more picky about what it will or won't focus on. Since the logic
is not focus priority it will let you take the pic even though it can't
focus. It does warn you in the view finder that it can't but in the heat of
the moment I tend not to notice.
Mike
PS sorry if this has gone too off topic.

Donald Ingram wrote:

> My  lens suffers from obvious pincushion distortion -
> approx 1/4" along the edge of a 5x7" print.

Dave replied

Could this distortion actually be from not holding the
camera perfectly level?

I also bought a GR1 last year and am very pleased with
it.  One thing to watch out for - once, the autofocus
sensor failed to lock on to a distant target - not
because it wasn't contrasty enough, but just too small.
I should've used the infinity setting.  Anyway, it's
nice to be able to select apertures, exposure compensation,
metering area, and to see information in the finder such
as shutter speed, focusing range, and parallax.

- -Dave