Subject: [Leica] Off Topic - Land Rover
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:45:57 -0700

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I just bought my first Land Rover - a Discovery.  A used 1995 model with
all the external bars and flood lights.  It looks like I'm ready for a trip
through the outback of somewhere.

Got a good deal ($20,000) from a local and then took it in for service.  It
needed the 30,000 mile service, a bunch of little stuff to adjust or
replace and it needed a CD player (didn't come with one).  $1700 later, it
runs fine.  I hope I made the right decision.

First off road trip was through a mud filled development site in my own
neighborhood.  I got stuck in the mud.  Only the front left and rear right
tires turned even though I was told Land Rover has permanent full time 4
wheel drive and the differential was locked.  My neighbors got a good laugh
on my account.  I needed a truck to pull me out.  It seems that even though
Land Rover has permanent 4 wheel drive, in reality only two wheels ever
have power.  So I guess 4 wheel drive is really 2 wheel drive and a regular
car with two wheel drive is really one wheel drive.  Confusing isn't it?

Anyhow, I hope to have some more pleasant times with my "new" Discovery.
Maybe if I like it, next time I'll go for a Range Rover.  If it's good
enough for Prince Charles, it's good enough for me.

Sincerely,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA