Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures taken with SOOKY-M
From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:23:49 +0000

Eric Welch wrote:

> >Since the angle of "normal" visual perception in humans agrees to the
> >overlapping impression from both your eyes, the angle is definitely
> larger
> >than from a 50 mm (it agrees to a 35), even if one eye covered an area of
> >only 47 deg (which is not true).
>
> What I objected to is that this claim that normal lenses can't be defined
> becuase the angle of vision is not as narrow as a "normal" lens. What I
> said was that the overall impression left by a 43mm lens most closely
> represents what we look at with our eyes because of magnification. If he
> doesn't want to believe it, fine, but that doesn't make it right, or any

How will I determine the magnification of a 43mm lens?

It is impossible to say that a 43mm lens gives 1x or .5x or 2x or
any other number of magnification. Tell us how a scientist might
determine what length lens corresponds to the human eye?

It isn't possible! The human eye is not like a regular
camera/lens.

"The greatest difference between human perception and a camera
lies in the way the brain builds up and recognies an image. In
each eye, the resolution falls away sharply from the fovea,
whwich is smaller than a pinhead and covers an angle of only 1.7
degrees. The views from both eyes overlap and combine. Although
such a view is fine for concertrating the attention on one part
of the scene, it would be useless for taking in the whole sweep
of, say, a landsscape, were it not for the way in which the eye
works. While we are rarely conscious of it, the eye actually
scans a scene constantly with small, jerking movements that each
last only a few milliseconds. By means of these saccadic
movements, as they are called, the eye and brain bulid up a
sharply perceived pattern of a large scene, in a large way quite
unlike that of a camera."

> reason to denigrate people for using the term "normal" for generally
> accepted reasons, even if the reason isn't all inclusivly correct.

No-one is denigrating anyone for using the term normal. I'm just
pointing out that what is called a normal lens is nothing to do
with the human eye.

- --
Chris Bitmead
http://www.ans.com.au/~chrisb