Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures taken with SOOKY-M
From: "Eric Welch" <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 98 06:52:48 Set the time zone in the Time preference utility

>But if you put so much stock in what a photographer say, let me
>quote form "The New 35mm Handbook" by Michael Freeman.

Photographer, yes, but long-time commentator and friend of  optical
designers from Leica, to Nikon to Canon, to Rollei, Hassleblad, etc., etc.
I'm not sure how good a photographer he is, but he knows hardware better
than just about anyone else outside of lens designers.

>Now where does 46 degrees come into it?

That's YOUR problem. I am talking magnification, not angle of view!

>1) Hold out both hands to your sides. Wiggle your fingers and
>look straight ahead. Most folks can see them wiggling. Therefore
>the angle of view of the eye is at least 180 degrees.

Your exepriment has to do with angle of view, not magnification. The
illusion the eye/brain system gives us is a general impression of what a
43mm lens on 35mm film would give, if one's eyesight were cropped to the
same proportions as the lens gives. 50mm is close to that, hence the
reason they're called "normal." Not many 43mm lenses around, other than
that old Nikon 43-86 zoom, which Nikon chose the 43 end of it because of
the above impression of vision.

>2) While reading this mail message, concentrate on one word only.

Yep, the fact that our eyes only see a few, at best, letters perfectly is
irrelevant. It's the MAGNIFICATION!

>Now you show me what experiment to do that shows me that there is
>something special about 46 degrees.

WHO SAID 46 DEGREES?!!! Sheesh. I'm through with this. You don't listen.

=======
Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch