Subject: [Leica] RRS plates arrive
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:55:38 -0600

I just took delivery of my Really Right Stuff tripod quick-release plates
#B22 and #B30. Beautiful works of machinist's art, with what seems like an
obsessive attention to the smoothness of the finish (the Arca B1 itself is
not so pretty!). The B30 is designed for Leica M, and it's a perfect fit,
spanning most of the baseplate, and allowing the camera to be centered in
the clamp. In addition, a 1/4" tripod socket is tapped into this plate,
perfectly centered under the lens.

This, in combination with the Arca B1, works great! I do think this is a lot
of ballhead for such a small camera, and I'll probably not leave the camera
plate installed unless I plan on carrying the tripod, because, though a
custom fit, it's also kind of large (did we really need to have a clamping
area so large as to allow the camera to be centered over the ballhead?), and
though the edges are smoothed-down, it's not especially comfy to hold an M
with B30 installed.

For occasional tripod use (as the M must surely be best suited), there may
be something to be said about the plain ole tripod screw mounting, though
I'd be inclined to equip mine with the Leica handgrip, which seems a handy
source of sacrificial tripod sockets :-)