Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Land Rover
From: Luiz Otavio Marinho <lmarinho@br2001.com.br>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:30:12 -0300

Sorry Richard but as a Land Rover owner I need to ask something:

 Did you lock the differential BEFORE getting in the mud??? or only after
when you got stuck???
 If you loose the traction ask someone to climb in you rearbump and jump to
make more weight or put a piece of wood under the wheel. My english is bad
for technical explanations, sorry.

 Regards,

At 19:45 29/04/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>I just bought my first Land Rover - a Discovery.  A used 1995 model with
>all the external bars and flood lights.  It looks like I'm ready for a trip
>through the outback of somewhere. =20
>
>Got a good deal ($20,000) from a local and then took it in for service.  It
>needed the 30,000 mile service, a bunch of little stuff to adjust or
>replace and it needed a CD player (didn't come with one).  $1700 later, it
>runs fine.  I hope I made the right decision. =20
>
>First off road trip was through a mud filled development site in my own
>neighborhood.  I got stuck in the mud.  Only the front left and rear right
>tires turned even though I was told Land Rover has permanent full time 4
>wheel drive and the differential was locked.  My neighbors got a good laugh
>on my account.  I needed a truck to pull me out.  It seems that even though
>Land Rover has permanent 4 wheel drive, in reality only two wheels ever
>have power.  So I guess 4 wheel drive is really 2 wheel drive and a regular
>car with two wheel drive is really one wheel drive.  Confusing isn't it?
>
>Anyhow, I hope to have some more pleasant times with my "new" Discovery.
>Maybe if I like it, next time I'll go for a Range Rover.  If it's good
>enough for Prince Charles, it's good enough for me.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Richard
>Richard Clompus, OD
>West Chester, PA