Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh? Summilux Aspherical?
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:27:22 +0200

At 19:23 30.04.1998 +0100, Ted wrote:
<<< Bokeh is something I never thought of in the past,
as I've always been more concerned with getting the damn
subject sharp and the background as far out of focus as
posssible when the back ground doesn't play a role in the
photograph.! :) >>>

- --- lot of remarkable stuff snipped --

Exactly there is the difference. Several of Tina's pictures
showing persons in their natural environment (?, word)
demonstrate, that the background has an important function
(i.e. paula.jpg, Honduras series).

Though the 1.4/35 asph Summilux is the sharpest piece of glass
I ever saw, the out-of-focus rendition - if important - looks
"disharmonic" at lower f-stops and agrees appr. to the
corresponding rendition of a 50 mm at f 2.8 or f 4.0.

The reason for this "inballance" is based in the fact, that the
unsharp field comes too sudden, too abrupt, compared to the
rendition from the non-asph 35 mm M lenses.

It is fine, if you want to clear your subjject off the background,
but it's "misplaced" somehow, if the background is a vivid element
in your composition.

From that experience, it would be of advantage, if you take some
test pictures of your most ffavorite subject, and compare them to
pictures, which are (emotionally) important to yourself.

I agree to all the rest of Ted's reply.

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm