Subject: Re: [Leica] Pictures taken with SOOKY-M
From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb@ans.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:17:56 +0000

Shawn London wrote:

> Chris Bitmead wrote:
>
> >LENSES DON'T MAGNIFY. All they do is crop a particular angle of
> >view out of the surroundings, and place it on a certain size
> >film.
>
> That news will come as a big surprise to everybody who uses cameras,
> binoculars, microscopes and reading glasses.

Naturally I was talking with regards to the situation with a
camera. You cannot state that something is magnified, unless
there is a point of reference against which you can compare. How
long is a piece of string? There is no answer.

Once you are actually viewing an image, then you can say
something about the magnification. But the image taken by a
camera is not viewed until later, with as yet unknown viewing
size and distances. Yes, you can see the image through the
viewfinder, but you didn't buy that expensive M6 just so you can
look through the viewfinder.