Subject: Re: [Leica] To: "INTERNET:leica-users@mej" <leica-users@mejac.p
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:32:50 -0500

Mark Eban wrote:

> have been offered a collapsible 50mm Summicron no. 1117503 for GBP130.
>Does anyone have any comments on the usability of this lens?.  I admit I
>have been rather spoiled by a 35 1.4 asph and although the 50mm does not
>sound expensive, I would hate to be dissapointed by what it produced.

It is a great lens in terms of compactness and portability.  When you
have the lens in the collapsed position, there is only a minimal
protrusion from the body.  It is like carrying around an M6 with no
lens... absolutely great.  It is reasonably sharp wide open, although it
suffers from a lack of contrast that persists until f/4 or so.  That does
not mean that f/2 and f/2.8 are not highly usable, however.  The lens I
used had a scratched front element which caused flare in bright lighting,
but middle aperture performance was very good, however.  If you manage to
get a lens with a good front element, I would put a filter on it to
prevent further scratches from cleaning (to which this lens and other
older ones are vulnerable).