Subject: Re: [Leica] Exploring Leica
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 22:21:53 +0200

Welcome Scott,

1. Favored b/w film:

I do prefer Tri-X for low light pictures,  FP4 for others. Tri-X
at 400 ASA, and FP4 at 200 ASA, Rodinal. You can't beat them ... :)

2.  Favored color film:

It depends where you are living, the type of daylight color, and
the main colors in your area. I live in Germany (51 deg of latitude)
and prefer E100s; a friend of mine, who lives about 2.500 km
(1.600 miles) more south, favors Kodakchrome 25. He doesn't like
"my" film, since he would need to expose it at f 16 and 1/1000,
while our most bright daylight (summer) is around max f 4 and
1/1000. One LUG member from Peru wrote some weeks ago, that he
has no use for Fuji with it's green sensibility, since the main
colors in his country are yellow, red and brown, others swear on
Fuji. In my impression, chromes are favored to print films, since
you want your own interpretation of the pictures and not the lab's.
If I want prints from my chromes, I order digital prints, and
control that there's (almost) no difference in color type and
saturation to the chromes. Of course, the chromes' contrast cannot
be reached.

3.  Enlargements:

Of course it depends on the observer's distance from the picture.
For exhibitions, I usually don't surpass 18x24 cm (about 7x9.5") in
a 40x50 cm (16x20") frame, and add some dynamic by placing 18x24 cm
in 50x40 cm and 24x18 cm in 40x50 cm frames. For myself, I have
stunning FP4 and Tri-X enlargements in 40x50 cm, 16x20".

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm
http://members.aol.com/mfformat/c-mf.htm