Subject: Re: [Leica] Whingers, whiners, and R8's
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 08:07:49 +0000

Chris,

At the risk of extending a discussion that probably interests only a few
LUGgers, no can know exactly what Alf meant (except Alf) when he wrote:
"why don't you stick with your camera ?  I don't see a reason, why we should
prove anything to you ...".  He may have simply been suggesting that
different camera/lens systems are fine, and that just because this is a
Leica list does not mean we must defend every Leica piece as inherently
superior to its competition.  Or maybe he felt it was fruitless to try to
compare the two lenses (e.g. because few people would own both, tests would
be inclusive, etc.).  Or maybe he really was giving you a mild rebuke in
defense of the Nocitlux, "King of Darkness" as Guido Ridoli would say.

Regardless of the above Chris, my sense was that the comment was fairly
mild.  I read all kinds of things here where I say to myself "Whoa, a
zinger, out of the blue, someone's gonna be mad here".  I didn't do that
with Alf's comment.  But when you replied with "Grow up", I KNEW the battle
lines had been drawn.  Things sort of snowballed from there.

That's really about it in my mind.  As I said, sometimes the intent behind
messages is not altogether clear and sometimes we can hit the Send button
and think "yeah, I probably could have worded that a little 'differently'".

John McLeod