Subject: Re: [Leica] Chrome Tele-Elmarit 90/2,8 (fat), was: Leitz Bag
From: director@ubi.edu
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 14:59:18 +0200

- -Dave wrote (long time ago):

>I noticed that KEH currently lists a 90mm chrome Tele-Elmarit
>(Canadian) as being "rare" and has a price around $2700 for it.
>Now I'm wondering if I passed up a "bargain", since just
>last Saturday I passed up one of these at a local swap meet;
>it was offered for $595.
snip
>I came to the Tele-Elmarit.  Up until then, I'd been thinking
>about getting a nice new chrome 90mm Summicron.  The Tele-Elmarit
>looked nice: very compact, clean, sharp lettering.  The aperture
>ring was rough to turn, however (not bad, just not up to the usual
>Leica feel).  Looking at the blades when closed down to f/16, I
>could see bright areas.  I don't know if aperture blades are
>lubricated or not, but it's apparent that they'd been used quite
>a bit.  Anyway, I had no idea how much a chrome Canadian Tele-Elmarit
>>was worth or whether it was rare or not.  I passed on it because of
the feel and look of the aperture blades.  Since I saw the KEH ad,
>I've been wondering a bit more about these lenses.

Dave,

After some rersearch, I found the Chrome Tele-Elmarit 90/2,8 (fat)
to be really rare. Around 1.700 ex.manufactured.
The last I came across, sold for 2.000 $ (Ex ++)
I've seen only 2 for sale in Belgium during the last 14 years.
In the Leica collector list, I think it's rated R7.
In Germany and in UK, there are even more expensive.

Together with a chrome M3, like on the dust cover of the
van Haesbroeck Leica book, it look gorgeous.
But as a user, the last (slim) Tele-Elmarit is better.

Lucien