Subject: Re: [Leica] perforations
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 22:59:56 +0200

> Fr=E5n: Eric Welch=20
>=20
> How is a company with 12-15 percent of the pro market going to have Kod=
ak
> create a new film without sprocket holes? APS won't do it. It's too
small.

> Fr=E5n: Steven Alexander=20
> Film manufacturing....Great idea but very small demand for film.
=20
Eric and Steven
I always thought that film was manufactured in huge sheets, then after
further ageing was sliced into strips, perforated, typed and batched.  Th=
perforations must, in any case, be punched after the coatings have been
applied.  Put the film in a can after the first slice.  A third party, li=
ke
the one that markets 127 rollfilm could take it from there.

Imagine.  The present full 35mm frame must be cropped to fit the "golden
whatsit" of 8 x 10.  This cropping would not be necessary if the image
extended to the film edge.  Therefore the effective increase in area woul=
be close to 30%.  Add Leica lenses to the equation and the result would
draw the MF folk, not to mention the rest of the 35mm world.

The competition would be forced to follow Leica's lead.  Or should I say
continue to follow ... =20

Alan Hull
PS The 30% is my estimate.  I'm too comfortable to get up and fetch my
calculator.