Subject: Re: [Leica] First M system choices
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 08:33:12 +0200

At 22:27 06.05.1998 -0400, you wrote:
>that I'm looking for "the look" moreso than absolute sharpness...after
>seeing some images made by the 35mm f2 (latest version...the so-called
>King of Bokeh according to Photo techniques...) I fell in love...If the
>ASPH can do that AND be sharper at the same time, that's the lens for
>me...

Isaac,

in my perception, the latest non-asph 2/35 Summicron shows the
most beautiful (=harmonic) rendition of all 35 mm, although this
lens and the asph 2/35 Summicron are rather similar (except that
the asph version is a little more sharp and shows more contrast).
The 1.4/35 asph Summilux is pronounced more sharp at the lower
f-stops, but it's out-of-focus rendition is less pleasing, since
more unsharp. I suggest an M2 or M4-version with the non-apsh 2/35.

Further, Harrisons experience and advice on the combination of the
2/90 R Summicron and an SLR Leica, maybe an SL ?, agree to my own,
although I really enjoy the rendition of the 1st version 2/90 M
Summicron. In daily "shooting", an SLR Leica plus 90 is far more
comfortable and easy to use than any M plus 90 combination (my
own largest focal lenghth on an M Leica is the 50 mm, since I feel
the 90 mm frame as too small). 135 mm R lenses are comparable low
in prize also (although higher than the Hektor), and show a rather
nice rendition.

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm