Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #30
From: "adrian bradshaw" <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 18:43:40 +0800

Alan Hull wrote-

>I sincerely hope that Leica's guiding light in future product development
>plans can be explained in one word.  DIGITAL.

well maybe...look what a mess Kodak got into delving into digital territory.
I reckon Leica should concentrate its resources producing great lenses for
whatever is around the corner and not waste too much in getting involved in
areas where they have no expertise. There should be a healthy if not growing
demand for superlative lenses for smaller formats for the foreseeable future
whatever happens to silver vs digital. Leica has not exactly excelled in the
sphere of electronics (viz R8 motor which even if it existed would be 10
years behind) and ought IMHO leave that to the experts. I mean they have
only just come out with their first in-house zoom (70-180) so they have a
fair amount of catch-up to do even if they just stick to optics: I am
talking of production capacity and technology rather than quality criteria
which is where they excell.

Let's hope the state of the art digital photography developers look to Leica
as their preferred partner for the optics side. I am always impressed how
much better my Leica negs scan than my other 35mm ones - good sign!

rgds etc

Adrian