Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #30
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 07:46:04 -0500

At 06:43 PM 5/7/98 +0800, you wrote:

>whatever is around the corner and not waste too much in getting involved in
>areas where they have no expertise. There should be a healthy if not growing

Excuse me? Hear of the S1? It's THE state of the art studio digital camera.
Leica through and through. And even uses Hassleblad, Rollei and other MF
lenses as well as all M and R lenses.

Leica has plenty of experience. They know their customers. I bet there's a
digital camera coming in time for the R lenses that will compete with
Kodak/Canon's. But the market isn't big enough for Leica to make it
financially feasible. They need to stay in business. At this point, it
doesn't make good economic sense. Kodak is really  hurting right now, and
they arguably have the most digital cameras out that are pro-level.

=========

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Mi.caw.ber n [Wilkins Micawber, character in the novel David Copperfield
(1849-50) by Charles Dickens : 1852] : one who is poor but lives in
optimistic expectation of better fortune