Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 HM focusing improvement
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 00:04:58 EDT

John D, I have been using the M6HM for 4 month now and I find it superior to
the regular M6 with any lens longer than the 50. The 75 has a frame that you
can use, the 90 is almost the size of the 75 frame in the regular M6 and for
the first time in months, I put my 135/4 Tele-Elmar on the HM last week end
and could actually see the frames and use it. On the regular M6 they are
misarbly small and "squinty", on the HM it was a breeze to use. This is one of
these unloved lenses that really only worked well on the M3 and it has now
been given a new lease on its life. It is one of the best lenses ever made in
this focal length and one of the great bargains too.
 The contrast in the HM finder is different than in the regular M6, the
rangefinder patch "snaps" in the focus. In certain lightconditions it can
blank out the patch, but all you have to do is shift the camera a fraction and
it is there again. I use it as the "long" M6, 50 and over on the M6HM, 35 and
wider on the regular M6 or M2. You can use it with the 35, but if you wear
glasses the framelines are difficult to see.
 Tom A