Subject: Re: [Leica] Life Mag Eisey Issue
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 06:39:04 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> I'd love to see what serious stuff is being done in Europe.

Eric, it is worth journeying to a large newsstand and studying the big
European mags.  In many cases it will make the US stuff look good by
comparison.  I remember reading about the new FOCUS in Germany taken the
country by storm.  So I bought a copy and studied it to see the style.
Well, there isn't any.  Mostly strobe on camera simple, boring pictures.
Paris Match occasionally has some decent stuff, but mostly
"journalistic" snapshots without much art or power, just in your face.
Why, I don't know; they have plenty of money and circulation.

I just started reading a book by the great English travel writer Norman
Lewis and it reminds me of just how wonderful discernment and refinement
of observation and expression can be.  In few publications and from few
writers and photographers do we see such quietude and piercing
concentration.  But we have to slow down to do it or appreciate it--an
attitude which will more often get you rear ended on the freeway or in
business.

donal
- ---
Donal Philby