Subject: [Leica] RE: Pitfalls of 400 6.8 R
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 23:37:32 -0400

Duane wrote:

>I used a 400 6.8 for a couple days and hated it.  I couldn't get used to=

>the sliding focus mechanism and worse yet was having to focus it while t=
he
>lens is stopped down to the working aperture or changing it back and for=
th
>since it does not open and close automatically to the working aperture
>like normal lenses do.>>>>

A couple of days with the Telyt isn't enough to get a feel for the lens.
Someone who is accustomed to "normal" auto-everything SLR equipment will =

have a hard time at first with an M but after working with it many can't =

imagine not using it.  The 6.8 Telyt is like that.  As for the manual
aperture control, who cares?  This is a lens that begs to be used hand-
held, where the fastest shutter speeds are most important.  I hardly ever=

use it at any aperture other than 6.8 and the results are always stunning=
=2E