Subject: Re: [Leica] was "State of the Art" now: Off topic, sr-71
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:56:45 -0400

Eric Welch,

         >>that they do cut images on the edge of technical feasibility<<
        >>....100 apo macro, 70-180, 280 f4......they have performance<<
                      >>characteristics that are simply amazing<<

What Leica glass is all about is "a difference in kind" over "a difference
in degree";
I know, I've been through Canon's best  "L" glass. Add to that list their
latest 180
f2.8 apo; edge acutance that gives slides a 3-D look.

Then add in the build quality ( smooth & precise focusing ) of their
current R optics; the R8's brilliant viewfinder & low vibration mirror.
What a system for low light work!
I've been able to get many more "Hail Mary" shots with my R8/80 f1.4 combo!

In my judgement, the current connotations associated with "state of the art
" & photography are irrelevant; i.e. pure advances in electronic technology
& little
thought given to what aids & abets a 35mm photographer yield "noise"!

Witness Tina's photographs taken with a M6 system; I saw her work at
Kennebunkport. Witness the photographs of Sam Abell in "Stay this Moment".
Etc. Etc.

Tom D.