Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon converted to Leica
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:38:04 +0100

Harrison wrote:

>For those not knowing what we are talking about, I had an old Canon
>FD 600 4.5 lens with a useless (worn-out and messed up) Nikon mount.
>The lens had been converted many years ago when Canon was the first
>out with a long 600 this fast. >>>>>

Hi Harrison,

I had an original Nikon 300 2.8 converted to fit my leicaflex back in 1978
because Leica didn't have any fast long lenses. They had long glass but
nothing with speed.

Reinhold Mueller in Toronto did the conversion and I used that lens very
successfully until Leuca came out with the 280 2.8 in 1984. It always
generated a lot of conversation  because the lens looked massive, actually
looked much bigger than the later Nikon 300 2.8. Nikon photographers asked
what it was and upon finding out it was a Nikon lens on a Leica, thought it
was a cool move! :)   A few Leica photographers thought it was almost an
act of blasphmy! :)

>Oh and by the way, the lens does shoot better photos now that it
>is on a Leica than it ever did on a Nikon, or Canon.  How's that for
>Leica snobbery.  :)

When it was traded in for the Leica Apo 280 2.8 the guy who bought it had
it changed back to Nikon fittings but never seemed to get the same kind of
images while it was attached to the Leicaflex! ;)

Please read Harrisons' comment about humour, it applies here also! :)

>NOTE FOR THE HUMOR IMPARED:::The above is said totally tongue in

ted