Subject: Re: [Leica] Solm's Lack of Quality
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:58:53 +0200

Bud,

I completely agree to you. And I admit, that I'm rather intolerant
in that field: The same way as Solms doesn't let X% on each new gear
for 'possible quality control errors' the same way I don't feel
as 'Red Cross for ill camera companies'.

In general, we just see the not so low number of complaints reported
from LUG members - we even don't know the actual cyphers outside the
LUG universe. And, as said before, I hear every now and then from
official Leica dealers, that - at least in my area - Solm's service
became worse and careless thru the last years.

The critic or implication of critics, that the number of complaints
might be small compared to the actual number of produced and sold
Leica gear, has no substance: There is no general accepted rule,
why broken cameras or lenses are rather sold to LUG members
than to non-members. The only difference is, that we speak about.

Let's just imagine, that 100 of the 200+ LUG members (instead of
the 36 which had answered to Ferdinand) had bought an M6, and
that still those only those 9 or 16 were faulty ... In my mind,
that percentage concentrated on the years past 1995 is large, far
too large.

<<< Someone had an argument that you shouldn't expect any better
quality from BMW's than from VW's ... >>>

 ... or the argument "all have it ... ", which was also mentioned -
You wouldn't accept caries for yourself just because all others have
it also, would you ?

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm